Wednesday, September 5, 2007

helper leg

Madeleine had a terrible night last night. She slept little, had a fever, woke up cranky and tired. We had our appointment at 9 am. I knew it would be a disaster.

We were given her leg. They showed us how to put it on and what to look for but since Madeleine cried the entire time I remember little. It was an hour and a half of wailing and tears.

Despite the exhaustion and illness she did well. She wore her leg a bit today and stood on it and took a few steps while holding onto my hands.

However, getting it on is a whole other story. When I pull out the leg she cries. I put it near her so she could 'play' with it and get use to it but she pushed it away.

I have to say that I use to be really creeped out by prosthetic limbs. They looked so horrific, like severed body parts. I am now a changed Momma. I think her helper leg is beautiful. She will come to know it and love it and see it for what it is worth.

I'd like to share a picture with you. I was trying to find out more information about child amputees and came across this picture of a teenage girl. I am enfatuated by it. She is so pretty and has such a sense of confidence that I can only hope that Madeleine will seem so adjusted. Kids are amazing and given the right direction and teaching they can become anything! (woops, sounds like I should go back to teaching if I believe that! Mr. Elliott, are you still hiring?)

No comments: